Youth Council is a high level leadership program for youth in grades 10-12. Youth Council brings together young people from all of the local high schools to discuss pertinent youth issues, get involved in local projects and participate in community and city committees. This is serious stuff, but Youth Council is also a place where young people will form life-long friendships and have a super fun time in the process.
Do you have ideas for positive change in our community? Do you aspire to be a community leader? Join the Abbotsford Youth Commission’s Youth Council to meet with other youth, have your say, get involved, and make a difference!
Accepting Applications NOW!!
Please click HERE to submit your application!
Thank you for your interest, but only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview!
- Attend a weekend leadership retreat.
- Participate in our Youth Council / City Council Collaboration.
- Be a voice for youth in our city and have the opportunity to let community leaders know what youth think.
- Each year two youth are chosen to be AYC Board members for the year.
- Meet and work with youth from all of the high schools in Abbotsford
- Become a community leader
- Learn leadership and employment skills
- Have your voice heard
- Plan and participate in youth driven projects and special events
- Be a youth representative from your school
- Delicious food is provided at monthly meetings
- Get a letter of reference from the Abbotsford Youth Commission
- Volunteer hours
- Tons of opportunities to get your ideas across to others (and really be listened to)
- Leadership skills
- Special event planning
- Conflict resolution, mediation and negotiation
- Effective listening
- Public speaking
- How City Council works
- How to chair a meeting and take minutes
- How to advocate for change